Friday, April 17, 2009

Firefox add-ons and browser crowding craziness

Browser add-ons/plug-ins are not new to me. I haven't been able to live without a Google toolbar or delicious in my browser for quite a while. Too many can get crazy. I particularly dislike the way that the book burro hovers around like an annoying yellow cloud, so after trying that add-on last year some time, I ditched it. In fact too many plugins can make the browser so fat at the top, you want to chuck the whole thing. I know I can hide any toolbar I want, but if I don't see it, I don't remember to unhide it. I do like tools that are slimmer and more subtle. I tried Email This for the first time thanks to this "Thing" and I love how you can just right click to bring that up when you need it. Very sweet. I also have to admit that LibX is quite wonderful. I just wish it didn't install an entire extra toolbar cuz I really don't need or want a big gigantic search box taking up so much of my screen space. If we could make that a little smaller I'd be happier. Leaving my own preferences aside for the moment, and thinking about your general user, it seems like LibX is definitely worth promoting, but it does have a learning curve to understand what it does. Will's video was helpful. I wonder, do we know how many people have downloaded that plugin? Maybe we have tried to stuff too much into it??? Just wondering....

No comments:

Post a Comment