Tuesday, May 5, 2009

PBworks??? What gives?

What do I like about wikis? I like the sense of ownership that a group, not just an individual, can have toward a wiki. I like how a wiki can grow organically with a project. I like that you can roll back changes. I like the quirky things you can find on Wikipedia and nowhere else.

What don't I like about wikis? I don't like how their organization can get complicated if one part takes off and other parts are undeveloped. I don't like the learning curve there is with understanding the formatting of say MediaWiki. I don't like how wikis can sit around unused but basically never die and go away.

What really surprised me about doing this Thing was that pbwiki became PBworks. What's up with that? Works? Wasn't that some scaled down MicroSoft software for people who couldn't handle or afford Office? I understand that PBworks has document management and other things you don't usually get with a wiki, but it made me wonder? Is the wiki moving on into the sunset?

No comments:

Post a Comment